Thursday, December 03, 2009

Concentration

So last year I read the poem Thanatopsis by William Cullen Bryant. Thanatos is the greek word for "death," while the suffix "-opsis" means sight. So I started thinking of death and what happens after death. The main thing I always think of is reincarnation, so I started thinking of what things could be reincarnated to and I mostly thought of nature. But then I started wondering what would happen if I abstracted the human form and combined it with a common theme or object.

So, that is my concentration! ABSTRACTED HUMAN FORM COMBINED WITH A COMMON THEME OR OBJECT. So far, I have only finished two...I named them "Mr. and Mrs. Brave New World" because they remind me of that novel by Aldous Huxley.
I have made two more and I am in the process of producing a couple more. These figures are probably my favorite piece I've ever done in the four years I've done ceramics!
P.S. I'm excited for our first secret santa gift exchange tomorrow. I wonder who drew my name...too bad I won't find out until the last class before winter break. I hope that I got something that my person will like, I wasn't sure what to get them. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Jacqui! I really like your concentration idea. It's so creative, unique, and really fun. It was so much fun to watch your little guy transform during advanced ceramics (good times). I feel like I'm his aunty, and i hope you give me that title. Haha. But seriously, your concentration is very cool and it will be exciting to see what you create next. :)

    ReplyDelete